So, you’re seeing too many of those HOW TO or LIST HEADLINES. First, those headlines DO work, but here are a few more methods.
1. Who Else Wants _______________?
Starting a headline with “Who Else Wants…” is a classic SOCIAL PROOF strategy. This simply strategy implies to your read that other people have been buying, using or doing what you’re asking. While overused in the Internet marketing arena, it still works like gangbusters for other subject matter.
- Who Else Wants a Great WordPress Theme?
- Who Else Wants a Higher Paying Job?
- Who Else Wants More Fun and Less Stress When on Vacation?
2. The Secret of ______________
This one is used often, but that’s because it works. Share insider knowledge and translate it into a benefit.
- The Secret of Succeeding with Internet Marketing
- The Secret of Self Defense
- The Secret of Getting Sober
3. Here is a Method That is Helping ______ to ______
Identify your target audience and the benefit you can provide them, and fill in the blanks.
- Here is a Method That is Helping __________ Save Hundreds on ___________
- Here is a Method That is Helping Children Learn _____________
- Here is a Method That is Helping Writers Sell More _____________
4. Little Known Ways to ________________
“The Secret of…”
- Little Known Ways to Save on Your AC Bill
- Little Known Ways to Hack Email
- Little Known Ways to Lose Weight FAST
5. Get Rid of ___________ (problem) Once and For All
Selling products or books is simply a way to solve problems for people. Establish the pain, then provide a solution to the pain or problem.
- Get Rid of Your _____ Habits Once and For All
- Get Rid of That Underwear Stains Once and For All
- Get Rid of Your Stupid Personality Once and For All
6. Here’s a Quick Way to [solve a problem]
People love quick and easy when it comes to solving a nagging problem.
- Here’s a Fast Way to Recover From __________.
- Here’s a Quicker Way to Train Your Dog.
- Here’s a Faster Way to Paint Your Bedroom.
7. Now You Can Have [something desirable] [great circumstance]
Here is the classic formula . . . “have your cake and eat it too” headline — and who doesn’t like that?
- Now You Can Quit Your Job and Make Even More Money
- Now You Can Meet Sexy Singles Without Spending a Penny
- Now You Can Own an SUV without the High Cost of Gasoline
8. [Do something] like [world-class example]
Gatorade milked this one fully with the “Be Like Mike” campaign featuring Michael Jordan in the early 1990s.
- Speak Spanish Like a Diplomat
- Party Like Paris Hilton
- Blog Like an A-Lister
9. Have a [or] Build a [blank] You Can Be Proud Of
Appeal to vanity, dissatisfaction, or shame. Enough said.
- Build a Body You Can Be Proud Of
- Have a Smile You Can Be Proud Of
- Build a Blog Network You Can Be Proud Of
10. What Everybody Ought to Know About ___________________________________.
Big curiosity FORMULA with this type of headline, and it acts almost as a challenge to the reader to go ahead and see if they are missing something.
- What Everybody Ought to Know About ASP
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Adjustable Rate Mortgages
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Writing Great Headlines
You’ve Just Been